Barcelona center back Samuel Umtiti has tested positive for COVID-19, the Spanish club has announced.
The 26-year-old has not featured for the Catalans since July, after suffering a setback in his recovery from a knee injury.
Umtiti’s injury meant that he had been isolated from Barcelona’s first team, who are scheduled to take on Bayern Munich in the quarter-final of the Champions League.
In a statement, the club said the French defender has shown no symptoms despite contracting COVID-19.
“After the tests carried out on Thursday first-team player Samuel Umtiti has tested positive for Covid-19,” the statement said.
“The affected person is asymptomatic, is in good health and is in isolation at home.
“The club has informed the relevant sporting and health authorities. It has also traced all the people that have been in contact with the player in order to carry out tests.”
Umtiti becomes the second Barcelona player to test positive for COVID-19 after defender Jean-Clair Todibo also confirmed he has contracted the disease on Wednesday.