Ghana international Kevin-Prince Boateng has mourned the victims of an accident involving a juvenile team in the West African Country.
The team had an accident while travelling, with their bus falling into a river in the country’s Ashanti region.
Six of the kids, aged between 12 and 16 years perished in the accident, while 30 others sustained various injuries.
Boateng said he was distraught after hearing the news and pledged to support the families of the victims.
“I heard about it on social media, then I called a friend of mine to ask him if it was really true and about what happened, and he told me about it and I felt really sad about it because I have two kids on my own, one is 12 [years old] and one is six, so I think it’s like a big tragedy, it hit me hard, you know,” the former AC Milan star told Joy News.
Interviewed @KPBofficial moments ago on the news. He's just signed for Serie B side, Monza, today.
— Gary #StopTheStigma (@garyalsmith) September 28, 2020
“Every detail you know about it makes you sadder, so that’s why I’m here and I wanted to talk to you guys and wanted to let you know that I want to help.
“Anything that’s necessary that would help, I want to get in touch with the families, I want to give them the necessary thing to feel free, I know it is hard and I can’t even imagine how hard it is for parents to bury their kids but I just want to help them to free their minds.”
He added: “My condolences to all the families who have lost their children and I’m happy for the other kids who made it out safe. We will keep in touch, so please let me know what I can do and I will be ready to help.”
Boateng recently joined Italian Serie B side AC Monza, having previously played for Besiktas on loan.