Barnsley defender Bambo Diaby has been banned by the FA for two years after pleading guilty to use of a prohibited substance.
The 22-year-old returned a positive urine sample on November 23 2019 that was found to contain higenamine.
Diaby admitted the charge but did not establish how the substance entered his system, leading to a suspension from all football-related activity until January 16, 2022. This is two years from the date of his provisional suspension earlier this year.
Championship (second-tier) side Barnsley said in a statement here that Diaby’s contract had been terminated by mutual consent.
“While Bambo Diaby admitted the charge, he did not establish how the Higenamine entered his system. As such, an independent Regulatory Commission imposed the mandatory two-year ban,” the FA said in a statement here.
It added the Senegalese player’s ban is effective from the date of his provisional suspension on Jan. 17 and would run up to Jan. 16, 2022.
“Despite making sincere efforts to identify the source of the prohibited substance, Diaby has been unable to do so,” Barnsley said.
— DigitalClusterz (@DigitalClusterz) October 8, 2020
“Because of this, a two-year mandatory ban has been imposed by the World Anti-Doping Agency and the FA. Diaby wasn’t found guilty of knowingly ingesting a banned substance.”
Diaby said in an open letter here to the club’s fans that he was left “devastated” by the ban.
“… I maintain my innocence, something the FA acknowledged themselves, but I must handle this decision with my family and look forward to a brighter future,” he said.
“And you never know what may happen. I will never give in on one day pulling that shirt back on.”